LCEA at the NEA RA

All you ever wanted to know about National Education Association Representative Assembly, an annual gathering held in the first weeks of July.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Back in Eugene and decompression


More Oregon Caucus activity (and, yes, resting is an activity).

I was hoping to post a final "at the RA" entry yesterday, but by the time I got to the computer stations they were packing things up.

The RA ended at a reasonable hour - 6:54PM was the official time, called by General Counsel Bob Chianin (or as I like to call him "The Consiglieri"). Following tradition the Oregon Delegation had a pool going on what the end time would be. I was way off with 8:32PM. Even though I didn't win, finishing 90 minutes earlier than I expected was worth it!

So now that I'm back home what are my thoughts? Well, RA is A LOT OF WORK! But believe it or not, I'd like to go again (if members let me). Why? Well, it's a little hard to explain unless you go, but one reason is RA is probably the greatest example I've ever seen of democracy in action and it's exciting and honoring to be a part of that. It's amazing what actually gets accomplished by 10,000 people over the course of four days (you'll see from my notes pretty soon). And of course it's nice to be able to travel to new places and meet new people, although the smart delegates go early or stay late to actually go see the sites. Jeri and I only managed to go to Epcot for a few hours during our time there. Once RA starts it's pretty much impossible to go out for recreation, unless you choose to give up sleep.

So coming up in future posts will be photographs and notes on what happened at RA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home